Your interactive trading laboratory!
 • 
9 users online

Stock Indices vs Stocks having a "prone behavior pattern"
This is a Feature Request with 3 votes

Glitch: I have a question for you. Quantacula is primarily designed to trade a whole stock index. Why not just filter out these stocks that show a behavior pattern over 15 or 20 years? Out of my experience, a stock that has a behavior pattern over a long period of time will or may continue to do so. An entire stock index often has the influence of the actual long-term "market noise" (like QE/low interest rates). Individual stocks, on the other hand tend not to reflect this influence. I also know that of course, such a procedure needs to have a regular re-balancing. Out of your experience, do you have any concerns which such a "granular approach"?

Attachment

Cancel

Responses

I don't have any concerns. The intention of the product is to be a tool to accomplish whatever scenario you wish. Why not write a model to do your suggested filtering, run it on a large universe of symbols, then save the results as a smaller universe? The goal is to provide the flexibility you need to do what you want.

I don't have any concerns. The intention of the product is to be a tool to accomplish whatever scenario you wish. Why not write a model to do your suggested filtering, run it on a large universe of symbols, then save the results as a smaller universe? The goal is to provide the flexibility you need to do what you want.

Indices are convenient "go-to" pre-made Universes, but indeed they are essentially trading systems - although some constituent selections can be subjective at times. The great thing about using the QPremium indices is that you have a historical reference for backtesting that doesn't include survivorship bias. Most any other list you create from stocks that are trading today will ultimately have some degree of bias since that list won't include stocks that have been removed, often due to mergers/buyouts, but also for demotions for capitalization, or worse, bankruptcy.

Indices are convenient "go-to" pre-made Universes, but indeed they are essentially trading systems - although some constituent selections can be subjective at times. The great thing about using the QPremium indices is that you have a historical reference for backtesting that doesn't include survivorship bias. Most any other list you create from stocks that are trading today will ultimately have some degree of bias since that list won't include stocks that have been removed, often due to mergers/buyouts, but also for demotions for capitalization, or worse, bankruptcy.

If it's possible for you, then it would be helpful to have a summary list in the Backtest Results tab that shows a few metrics per symbol. The screenshot below is from Ninja, since I'm using a pre-filtered 2500 Stocks Universe (index independent) and then a filter out the best 10-15 stocks per system, using an export to Excel.

If it's possible for you, then it would be helpful to have a summary list in the Backtest Results tab that shows a few metrics per symbol. The screenshot below is from Ninja, since I'm using a pre-filtered 2500 Stocks Universe (index independent) and then a filter out the best 10-15 stocks per system, using an export to Excel.

This is a great reminder, a "per Symbol" Model Result Viewer is already on the drawing board, so I turned this topic into a Feature Request so we can track it.

This is a great reminder, a "per Symbol" Model Result Viewer is already on the drawing board, so I turned this topic into a Feature Request so we can track it.

@Glitch: Any News on this?

@Glitch: Any News on this?

Nothing yet, although since it's a logged Feature Request it will get developed in turn.

Nothing yet, although since it's a logged Feature Request it will get developed in turn.

Any news on this Topic?

Any news on this Topic?

It's called the "By Symbol" result viewer, it's in there. But it might not be turned on by default, go look in the Backtest Preferences and make sure it's checked. Quite useful.

It's called the "By Symbol" result viewer, it's in there. But it might not be turned on by default, go look in the Backtest Preferences and make sure it's checked. Quite useful.

Oh thanks. Just updated from Q173 TO Q179 and it's visible by default.

@Glitch: I just miss the Max Drawdown column, the Profit Factor column and a way to Copy them into an external application (like with the Position List). Can you add this? It makes it much more easy to rank stocks externally in Excel/SQL...

Oh thanks. Just updated from Q173 TO Q179 and it's visible by default. @Glitch: I just miss the Max Drawdown column, the Profit Factor column and a way to Copy them into an external application (like with the Position List). Can you add this? It makes it much more easy to rank stocks externally in Excel/SQL...

Of course, will be in next release.

Of course, will be in next release.

Glitch - a little reminder to please add Merlin's requests for Q181. They missed going into Q180, and I too would really like the Copy ability enabled.

Glitch - a little reminder to please add Merlin's requests for Q181. They missed going into Q180, and I too would really like the Copy ability enabled.

Yes, my mistake, working on this right now!

Yes, my mistake, working on this right now!

Here is a preview of the new columns … on track for release this weekend!

Here is a preview of the new columns … on track for release this weekend!

And copy/paste too, yes?

And copy/paste too, yes?

Yes, and it is now released in Q181.

Yes, and it is now released in Q181.

Nice for the copy/paste, thanks Glitch!
And I see the toggle for log/linear axis for the price charts, but I can't find an option for this on the Equity Chart in the backtest... that's where I really need log space.

Nice for the copy/paste, thanks Glitch! And I see the toggle for log/linear axis for the price charts, but I can't find an option for this on the Equity Chart in the backtest... that's where I really need log space.

It's exposed via a right click menu option.

It's exposed via a right click menu option.

Huzzah! Who needs UI anyway? I had never right clicked on there, other interesting things too, glad I asked!

Huzzah! Who needs UI anyway? I had never right clicked on there, other interesting things too, glad I asked!
Forum Tips

Please sign in if you want to participate in our forum.

Our forum uses Markdown syntax to format posts.

To embed code snippets, enclose them in [CODE][/CODE] tags.