Your interactive trading laboratory!
 • 
5 users online

Rotation model improvements
This is a Feature Request with 1 vote

The current Rotation model style is too limited for me. I am not interested in being limited to one indicator to choose my equities. For example, I might base my choice on lowest RSI14 equities (possible now), but only if the equities also have positive one-month ROC (not possible now).

The easiest way I can see to do this would be to extend the Rotation model to include the concept of Filters. So right after the Weight Indicator options, you could choose one or more Filters that would be applied first, such that the Weight Indicator only chooses from the filtered universe that meets your criteria (e.g., positive 21-day ROC).

A more advanced and flexible approach would be to make it possible to create Rotation models in C#.

Another possibility, perhaps, would be to learn how to develop my own custom indicators that would combine whatever concepts I want to test. But this seems the most laborious approach.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Attachment

Cancel

Responses

I'm with you. The RM is a great idea but at least one simple "conditional constraint", based on another indicator is highly desirable.

I'm with you. The RM is a great idea but at least one simple "conditional constraint", based on another indicator is highly desirable.

Might be also helpful to enable "Open as C# code model" for Rotation models to be able to tweak the condition in code.

Might be also helpful to enable "Open as C# code model" for Rotation models to be able to tweak the condition in code.

Rotation models are implemented using a different base class than standard UserModelBase, so unfortunately opening up their C# code isn't currently an option.

Rotation models are implemented using a different base class than standard UserModelBase, so unfortunately opening up their C# code isn't currently an option.

As you suggested, the current way to do this is to create a custom indicator and boil down all of the considerations into one indicator. Yes, this can become laborious.

I like the idea of filters, and it complements another idea I already have brewing for stock Screens.

What if you could build Filters using the existing drag & drop Building Block Conditions? You could then use your Filters to Screen for stocks, or append them to a Rotation Model.

As you suggested, the current way to do this is to create a custom indicator and boil down all of the considerations into one indicator. Yes, this can become laborious. I like the idea of filters, and it complements another idea I already have brewing for stock Screens. What if you could build **Filters** using the existing drag & drop Building Block **Conditions**? You could then use your **Filters** to **Screen** for stocks, or append them to a **Rotation Model**.

Append Filters (or Constraints) to a Rotation Model sounds sufficient. I do not recognize an added value by editing an RM directly in C# as the whole business logic can also be implemented into a custom indicator. Save your time for other purposes which will bring a greater added value to the tool itself :-)

Append Filters (or Constraints) to a Rotation Model sounds sufficient. I do not recognize an added value by editing an RM directly in C# as the whole business logic can also be implemented into a custom indicator. Save your time for other purposes which will bring a greater added value to the tool itself :-)

Yes Glitch, I think I very much like that concept, seems a more powerful way to make Filters than what I was suggesting.
Also, since I'm only on the web version (not Q-Studio), it would work for me (I can't make/install custom indicators for Q-web, right?).

Yes Glitch, I think I very much like that concept, seems a more powerful way to make Filters than what I was suggesting. Also, since I'm only on the web version (not Q-Studio), it would work for me (I can't make/install custom indicators for Q-web, right?).

@Glitch: Any News on this?

@Glitch: Any News on this?

Not yet, although I flagged the topic as a Feature Request. Incidentally, I've been a bit distracted shoring up the web site against Russian spammers lately :)

Not yet, although I flagged the topic as a Feature Request. Incidentally, I've been a bit distracted shoring up the web site against Russian spammers lately :)
Forum Tips

Please sign in if you want to participate in our forum.

Our forum uses Markdown syntax to format posts.

To embed code snippets, enclose them in [CODE][/CODE] tags.