Your interactive trading laboratory!
 • 
5 users online

Issues with signals: not enough or even zero

Some models, and in particular one I am trying to trade, seem to be not sending signals properly to the Signal Hub. My model hasn't changed its code since before the upgrade to Q181, so I think the problem may be there.

Issue: too few signals, or even zero being sent to the Signal Hub, depending on the Data Sources and Universe selected.

To replicate issue, try Dr. Koch's 8% Dip Buyer Limit Move, and try Super Bands with Linear Regression, run both with NASDAQ 100, and Dr. Koch's will send 100 signals to the Signal Hub (correct), but Super Bands will only send a fraction (16 for me). My model's transactions are simple go long at the open purchases like Super Bands uses.

That replication is with Data Sources chosen: Q-Data, Q-Premium, Yahoo! Finance, and AlphaVantage, but works the same with any selection of them.

However, try a custom Universe: duplicate the Basic Mixed USA universe from Qweb (AAPL BA FB GE KO MCD NKE TRV VZ WMT), and run this in both models with all those Data Sources selected: Dr. Koch's gives you 10 signals (correct), Super Bands sends only 2 signals to the Hub (bad). Then deselect and leave only Yahoo, or even both Yahoo and Alpha Vantage, and WHOA! neither model sends any signals to the Hub at all. Despite the backtest running normally (I'm just running a short one since May 1, but any length will do).

So... I'm stuck unable to send my signals to my broker. Perhaps I'll next try downgrading to Q180 (can I do that safely??? just by running the installer over again???) and see if that gets me my signals back, at the expense of log scale axis.

Attachment

Cancel

Responses

Relatedly... what is the best way to install an older version? I still have the Installer for Q180, but when I try to run it, it recognizes that a newer version is present and refuses to proceed, rather than giving me any option to overwrite the newer one or to install it in a separate area. So... how best to uninstall Q181, or even move and rename Q181 (as backup) so that I can see if Q180 works properly for me to get around this Signals issue?

Relatedly... what is the best way to install an older version? I still have the Installer for Q180, but when I try to run it, it recognizes that a newer version is present and refuses to proceed, rather than giving me any option to overwrite the newer one or to install it in a separate area. So... how best to uninstall Q181, or even move and rename Q181 (as backup) so that I can see if Q180 works properly for me to get around this Signals issue?

SuperBands uses conditions so it won't necesarily issue a signal for every symbol in the backtest.

I'm investigating now, but as far as installing a previous version, if you uninstall QS then you should be able to do so. Uninstalling won't affect any of your user data such as models, that's saved in a user data folder.

SuperBands uses conditions so it won't necesarily issue a signal for every symbol in the backtest. I'm investigating now, but as far as installing a previous version, if you uninstall QS then you should be able to do so. Uninstalling won't affect any of your user data such as models, that's saved in a user data folder.

So far I'm unable to duplicate this. Running SB w/LR netted me 40 signals on the Nasdaq 100, and they all wound up in the Signal Hub. And when I ran it using a custom Nasdaq 100 on Yahoo data I did receive 80 signals, which also showed up in the Signal Hub.

So far I'm unable to duplicate this. Running SB w/LR netted me 40 signals on the Nasdaq 100, and they all wound up in the Signal Hub. And when I ran it using a custom Nasdaq 100 on Yahoo data I did receive 80 signals, which also showed up in the Signal Hub.

Grrr, investigating further, probably an ID-10T error code. Except: Glitch did you try using Yahoo and AlphaVantage? I was getting Zero signals in the hub using them, which makes no sense to me.

Grrr, investigating further, probably an ID-10T error code. Except: Glitch did you try using Yahoo and AlphaVantage? I was getting Zero signals in the hub using them, which makes no sense to me.

Yeah, glitch, normally I have 1k+ signals from my SB algo and I'm only getting less than 200 with IQFeed.

Yeah, glitch, normally I have 1k+ signals from my SB algo and I'm only getting less than 200 with IQFeed.

It's possible that the LR is factoring out many more trades with us going up like this, bitfool.

It's possible that the LR is factoring out many more trades with us going up like this, bitfool.

BWO, thanks, I think that is the issue for my own strategy problem (yup, another ID-10T issue), I had recently added a condition (like your LR) that during the dropping market was filtering almost nothing and I kinda forgot that I added that condition! so as we started up I got thrown off by the filter.

I'll have to further explore whether there's a significant difference in #signals sent between different Data Providers. It is highly likely (again) to be in the data, not in the QS code, like a minor difference in the price data triggering/not for a conditional.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE. I'll reopen this thread if I find something. Thanks for a great product Glitch, and your patience.

BWO, thanks, I think that is the issue for my own strategy problem (yup, another ID-10T issue), I had recently added a condition (like your LR) that during the dropping market was filtering almost nothing and I kinda forgot that I added that condition! so as we started up I got thrown off by the filter. I'll have to further explore whether there's a significant difference in #signals sent between different Data Providers. It is highly likely (again) to be in the data, not in the QS code, like a minor difference in the price data triggering/not for a conditional. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. I'll reopen this thread if I find something. Thanks for a great product Glitch, and your patience.

Glad to be of help!

Glad to be of help!
Forum Tips

Please sign in if you want to participate in our forum.

Our forum uses Markdown syntax to format posts.

To embed code snippets, enclose them in [CODE][/CODE] tags.