Your interactive trading laboratory!
 • 
8 users online

QS on High DPI displays

Hi Glitch,

I installed a trial version of QS on a Surface Laptop. It looks hardly usable by anyone without eagle eyes. Playing with compatibility settings makes it a bit more readable, but the fonts are all over the place, some are way bigger than others. I can make it look bigger and readable, but it'll be somewhat blurry. It just doesn't look good.

In general, QS seems usable on a 27" 1440p display and a 14" 1080p laptop, but it doesn't look sharp, of course. I'm used to High DPI displays by now, me spoiled brat. I know old Win32 programs have these issues, but QS is new, presumably using the new MSFT frameworks, etc. Why doesn't it look like MS Office in terms of size of UI elements? Thanks!

Attachment

Cancel

Responses

I expressed similar concerns back in February when I was testing it on my 5k iMac ( https://www.quantacula.com/Forum/ForumTopic/460 ). Now I'm just running QS on a Dell laptop.

I expressed similar concerns back in February when I was testing it on my 5k iMac ( https://www.quantacula.com/Forum/ForumTopic/460 ). Now I'm just running QS on a Dell laptop.

Hi voron, another user reported the issues several months ago at which point we did a major change in how the fonts were rendered. The change made QS workable in this case on his surface pro but clearly from these reports we need to do more. Would you mind posting a screen shot of the worst case, along with the specific surface model number? I will see about getting a matching device for duplicating the issue.

Hi voron, another user reported the issues several months ago at which point we did a major change in how the fonts were rendered. The change made QS workable in this case on his surface pro but clearly from these reports we need to do more. Would you mind posting a screen shot of the worst case, along with the specific surface model number? I will see about getting a matching device for duplicating the issue.

The model is 1769, it's the first gen Surface Laptop, i7 with Iris Pro. Attached is the recommended scaling: 150%

The model is 1769, it's the first gen Surface Laptop, i7 with Iris Pro. Attached is the recommended scaling: 150%

This one with compatibility set to using system enhanced.

This one with compatibility set to using system enhanced.

And this one is with 200% scaling.

And this one is with 200% scaling.

Thanks, what would your ideal outcome be? Getting the fonts larger in the 200% view? I believe I have an idea, but want to confirm what you'd like to see first. My idea is to provide an optional value in the settings file that will override the built-in font scaling, so basically the app would let you fine tune the font size based on your experience.

Now, the change we made previously was to render the fonts in a "universe" scale, which is supposed to be device agnostic. It worked well on the laptops I own, but apparently it doesn't work well on Surfaces. QS uses the Windows Forms framework in .NET 4.7.1 which is one of the latest versions of the framework, but there are still some lingering issues being reported:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/fd641325-a75f-473f-9b97-7b7890c48185/high-dpi-with-checkboxes-and-radio-butttons?forum=vcgeneral

Thanks, what would your ideal outcome be? Getting the fonts larger in the 200% view? I believe I have an idea, but want to confirm what you'd like to see first. My idea is to provide an optional value in the settings file that will override the built-in font scaling, so basically the app would let you fine tune the font size based on your experience. Now, the change we made previously was to render the fonts in a "universe" scale, which is supposed to be device agnostic. It worked well on the laptops I own, but apparently it doesn't work well on Surfaces. QS uses the Windows Forms framework in .NET 4.7.1 which is one of the latest versions of the framework, but there are still some lingering issues being reported: [https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/fd641325-a75f-473f-9b97-7b7890c48185/high-dpi-with-checkboxes-and-radio-butttons?forum=vcgeneral](https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/fd641325-a75f-473f-9b97-7b7890c48185/high-dpi-with-checkboxes-and-radio-butttons?forum=vcgeneral)

Ideal outcome: fonts and other resources larger than in 150% (or 200% -- it doesn't matter since the major UI elements don't seem to respond to the scaling factor one sets in display settings).

I just ran another experiment and put QS on a MacBook Air 2018 with Retina display in Bootcamp. Same thing: tiny UI not responding to the scaling factor. The only thing that seems responding is the update log (shown in the 200% image up the thread). I bet it uses a standard MSFT HTML control or something like that. I'm curious what laptops with 4k display QS looks good on. I know people who prefer tiny fonts, so I'm sure it's OK for them.

Given Macbook Air and Surface laptop show the same picture, we can say it is indeed device agnostic. Just not large enough :).

As of now, absent any fix, my conclusion is I need a power laptop with 1080p display, something like Lenovo X1E. It's a bummer because I do like high DPI displays.

Ideal outcome: fonts and other resources larger than in 150% (or 200% -- it doesn't matter since the major UI elements don't seem to respond to the scaling factor one sets in display settings). I just ran another experiment and put QS on a MacBook Air 2018 with Retina display in Bootcamp. Same thing: tiny UI not responding to the scaling factor. The only thing that seems responding is the update log (shown in the 200% image up the thread). I bet it uses a standard MSFT HTML control or something like that. I'm curious what laptops with 4k display QS looks good on. I know people who prefer tiny fonts, so I'm sure it's OK for them. Given Macbook Air and Surface laptop show the same picture, we can say it is indeed device agnostic. Just not large enough :). As of now, absent any fix, my conclusion is I need a power laptop with 1080p display, something like Lenovo X1E. It's a bummer because I do like high DPI displays.

My issue too was an Apple Retina display, but on the 5k iMac monitor instead of the 4k MacBook. Other windows apps donot suffer the same small fonts issue in my experience.

My issue too was an Apple Retina display, but on the 5k iMac monitor instead of the 4k MacBook. Other windows apps donot suffer the same small fonts issue in my experience.

I actually obtained acceptable results in MacBook Air by playing with compatibility variables --using System Enhanced override. It's still blurry and is not as good as other modern programs. But acceptable. Interestingly, doing same with Surface laptop produces a bit worse outcome with larger font than desired. Perhaps because Macbook resolution is higher than SL.

@bitfool, I wonder if can be made acceptable on iMac 5k in Bootcamp if you ever find time to run such experiment :). I'll also experiment further with external 4k display.

I actually obtained acceptable results in MacBook Air by playing with compatibility variables --using System Enhanced override. It's still blurry and is not as good as other modern programs. But acceptable. Interestingly, doing same with Surface laptop produces a bit worse outcome with larger font than desired. Perhaps because Macbook resolution is higher than SL. @bitfool, I wonder if can be made acceptable on iMac 5k in Bootcamp if you ever find time to run such experiment :). I'll also experiment further with external 4k display.
Forum Tips

Please sign in if you want to participate in our forum.

Our forum uses Markdown syntax to format posts.

To embed code snippets, enclose them in [CODE][/CODE] tags.