Your interactive trading laboratory!
 • 
5 users online

Issue: TrendQ lookback doesn't use pre-StartIndex data

A while back there was a discussion about this I think, and you made some changes so that Indicators would look back into the price history prior to the start of the strategy (ie, before StartIndex) so that indicators would be primed and ready to use when the strategy gets to StartIndex. At least that's how things seem to work.

Except I just noticed that TrendQ in the TASC indicators doesn't utilize this for its long period (int n, the one that is 250 bars by default), so I don't get an indicator until a year into my strategy. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Attachment

Cancel

Responses

We never made such a change, indicators do not look back into data prior to StartIndex. We did make a change so that backtest results for the benchmark comparison is not calculated until StartIndex.

We never made such a change, indicators do not look back into data prior to StartIndex. We did make a change so that backtest results for the benchmark comparison is not calculated until StartIndex.

Ah, thank you. I should have looked that discussion up and studied this issue a bit more. I guess I had been using shorter lookback indicators lately and not always looking at their plots and this just stood out with its yearlong default lookback.

Ah, thank you. I should have looked that discussion up and studied this issue a bit more. I guess I had been using shorter lookback indicators lately and not always looking at their plots and this just stood out with its yearlong default lookback.
Forum Tips

Please sign in if you want to participate in our forum.

Our forum uses Markdown syntax to format posts.

To embed code snippets, enclose them in [CODE][/CODE] tags.